Monday, October 5, 2009

bliss and breaking rules

For our bliss time, I did my favorite past time of listening to the all the obscure vinyl records that I collect. Some I use to get samples for my music, others just to listen to and play at parties, but cracking them open and wondering whether the scratchy, hibernating tunes will match at all the sound the cover image has painted in my head.

For the breaking rules part I did something odd, I took a song I had been working on in Ableton Live,and instead of obsessively doting over the mixing, mastering and obtaining a clean sound, I just went apeshit on it. Made it sound like sandpaper exploding in a blender, maxed out volumes all over the place. Then, I took it one step furthur by playing it through my headphones and holding the headphones next to the crappy built in mic on my laptop... It was a little painful doing this to the song, but truth be told without the absurd last step I'm actually happy with the result of loosening up my own restrictions! I need to find out how to upload mp3's and embed them in blogger... I'll bring a cd of this week and last weeks tracks but I'll get them on here ASAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment